Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Walken


What I've Learned, from Esquire:
"I remember once, years ago, I was walking out a door-I'd been having a conversation and I was walking out the door, and this guy said to me, "Chris," and I stopped and I turned, and he said, "Be careful." And I never forgot that. And it comes back to me often. Be careful. That was good advice."


"When I was a kid, there was someone in my family, an adult, and whenever I saw them, they would say, "You got a lotta nerve." From the time I was a little kid, it was always like, "Heh, heh, heh-you got a lotta nerve." I always thought, What does that mean? But then when I got older, I thought that it was an instruction. If you tell a kid something, it sticks. I think I do have a lot of nerve. But, I mean, I think I maybe got it from that person who said it to me."


"My father was a lesson. He had his own bakery, and it was closed one day a week, but he would go anyway. He did it because he really loved his bakery. It wasn't a job."


"I used to love Danish. My father used to make a Boston cream pie. You never see that anymore. Very good."


"Golf. My god, that's a mysterious occupation. i know people who are-good friends-who are absolutely smitten, practicing their swing and talking about it. I can understand some sort of sport where your body got a benefit, like marathon running or bicycle racing. Thats not golf. And not only that, but the whole business of standing in the sun-my God. That's like torture."


"I love spaghetti. And I like to cook spaghetti. And i used to eat it every day. I weighed thirty pounds more than I do now. You can't-you can't do that. Ice cream-I love to watch television and eat ice cream. But that's like a ten-year-old. I can't do that anymore. Beer. Beer, spaghetti, ice cream."


"Professional dancers don't go dancing."


"It all happened when I did The Deer Hunter. Suddenly-I'd already been in show business for thirty years, and nothing much had happened. I mean, I really was laboring in obscurity, and then suddenly this movie. It was kind of infectious and I really did become rather social. Gregarious. And that lasted, I don't know, ten years."


"Sometimes I look at this watch and I think, There's some guy that puts these little screws in there? There is something about it. Im not into cars, either, but there is something about a really magnificent car."


"I don't like zoos. Awful."


"Most of the jobs I get are basically very unwholesome people. There's always something wrong with the guy, and sometimes something deeply wrong. I'm tired of that. I tell my agent I want a Fred MacMurray part, I want a part where I have a wife and kids and a dog and a house, and my kids say to me, "What do you think I should do, Dad?" and I say, "Be careful."


No comments: