Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hello Operator

Last night I passed the fifteen drink mark. Unfortunately it wasn't the first time. I learned from it. So in a way it was like getting hit in the head with a book and somehow gaining the information within.
I felt alright when I woke up. I had water and gatorade and excedrin. My shit looked horrifying. I think it was the 4am corned beef hash with an egg.
The world is wet with rain, has been since I woke up. I stepped out on the balcony and took it in. The air is different. The sky is different. It makes the everything else look different.
I remember one time getting on the Q headed back into Manhattan. As I walked up the car searching for a seat I watched three young men out of the corner of my eye. They had tattoos and were dressed like a gang in some sort of modern PG-13 dance movie. One of them was counting a serious amount of cash within his backpack. Another sat on a boombox.
As I sat down the train started to move. I changed the song on my ipod. I wondered if maybe the kids were drug dealers or thiefs or hustlers of some sort.
We stopped twice, people shifted in and out. As we took off I noticed that the young men were standing up. My hand shifted over my bag.
"Ladies and Gentleman..."
One of them began a spiel. I tuned it out. So did a lot of other people. Something about a subway performance. I looked around, they had a few people paying attention.
Then they hit the play button. "Got to Be Starting Something" exited the speakers. The boombox created a surprising amount of sound.
Suddenly the three broke into a dance routine in perfect unison. The footwork would have been difficult to execute in a dance studio and they were in a moving Q train. I started to watch more closely. So did many other people.
Suddenly they started doing backflips and front flips with support from handrails. Three people nearly got kicked in the face. They were not trying to avoid people. They were making people avoid them.
The music continued to blast. I realized how perfect the song was. How special the moment was.
Then one of them layed down flat on his back with his knees bent. Another did a back flip and landed on him. He held his shirt over the other ones knees and they did a little man dance.
The third guy walks down the car and asks for everyone to clean it up. Instantly everyones feet and bags part to create a clean lane. I look back at the other two.
They are holding each others ankles creating a standing donut. Then suddenly they begin rolling up the subway car like a wheel. And back down the car. A two man rolling somersault. As they reach the boom box they shift positions seamlessly. It looks like somebody is about to get a powerbomb but instead he continues towards the ceiling of the car and two hand slaps the fucker so hard that I will never forget it. The train had been shaking the whole time but that moment was the peak. The song faded away. They began collecting donations. I gave three dollars as the train slowed down. The voice over the speaker that normally announces the stop came on in the exact same tone as usual.
"Get off my train. Please don't support these kids."
The three stand still testing the limits. The doors are open and the train is stopped. The voice comes back.
"Get off my train. I've already contacted the police and I'm not moving until you're off."
The three start to smile. Two of them give all their money to the third. He puts it in his backpack. Two get off but stand right outside the open door. The noise for closing doors plays. One continues to push the limits until suddenly all three take off. Maybe from the police. Maybe into the next car for another performance.

No comments: