Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ocho Cinco

from profootballtalk:
OCHOCINCO: ME AND CARSON ARE LIKE “BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN”
Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2009, 10:39 a.m.
Throughout the offseason Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer made several comments indicating his displeasure with wide receiver Chad Ochocinco. While he had nicer things to say at the end of May, the relationship between the two players was something to watch as training camp and the season unfolded.

There’s nothing to worry about, according to Ochocinco. He and Palmer are as close as a couple of cowboys riding out a cold night in the mountains.

“I know people are trying to say we’re mad at each other and all that, but we’re good,” he told Bengals.com. “We’re like Brokeback Mountain. I’m going to be with Carson so much in July that I’m going to be the nanny [for his new twins].”

Quite a change from a man who was trying everything under the sun to quit Palmer a year ago.

The lengthy interview covered many topics, but continually came back to Ochocinco’s claims of a renewed hunger after a subpar 2008 season. He said both Denzel Washington and Kobe Bryant told him to go back to having fun on the field and to stop worrying about the things he can’t control, something he vows to do for a team he calls more talented than the one that won 11 games in 2005.

He also said that his comments about not working out before the 2008 season shouldn’t be taken to mean that he tanked the season. Rather, Ochocinco says he was overconfident about his abilities and his seperated shoulder proved that he couldn’t coast and that he has no fears about returning to form because he’s been working out harder than in the past.

He also reached out to Bengals fans in an attempt to convince them that he wants to be in Cincinnati’s after past trade requests.

“I need the fans to embrace me. I know people are mad at me. I read the message boards, but I’ve apologized 85 times,” Ochocinco said. “If they can embrace me, I can spread my wings and be myself. When they’re mad at me, I don’t know if I can be myself. I’m an emotional guy. I want them to know that I love them and I want to win. I want to be on point with everybody on the team and win. I know I’ve been frustrated when we haven’t won. Maybe now when I vent, I should just do it to the fans on the message boards.”

It might just be a ploy to sell some Ochocinco jerseys, but Chad’s certainly putting on the hard sell in the last couple of weeks.

No comments: