Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bryant McKinnie and Venus Williams



from an article at www.bryantmckinnie.com:
On his relationship with Venus Williams:
Venus and I met about a year and a half ago, maybe two years ago. I was in Los Angeles. Me and a few of my friends were hanging. It just so happens we were with one of the girls who works for ESPN. I was out there doing something for her. She was like, "Come to this place tonight." So, we went. About 30 minutes later, Venus and Serena came in. They were at the table next to us. I knew who they were, but I wasn't paying them any attention. They were dancing and everything. Then, later that night, the lady from ESPN tried to get Venus and me to exchange numbers. She thought this would be a good hook up. The next couple of weeks, when I would go places in Miami, I would run into her. She was like, "Oh, my God, we keep running into each other." So, we exchanged numbers and from there we would go out during the day to different places. We'd go to little restaurants on South Beach. We were hanging out a lot. Then I bought my place, and I found out she had her own interior decorator company. She did my house. We were around each other, and I started going to her matches.

Our personalities clicked. We've got each other back being motivated. I'm real, real motivated this year. She is, too. She wants to get back on the top. And I want to go back to how it was in college. So, we motivate each other. If I see her doing good, it makes me want to come out here and practice harder. There's motivation for both of us. We call each other. I follow her career right now. She texts me and says, "The next one I'm going to win for you." Stuff like that.

Is Venus the one?
Possibly, but it takes time. We haven't been around each other as much because she has been overseas. We text-message a lot, or we'll call each other. I'm supposed to go and get my passport, so I can head over to England to watch her play at Wimbledon.

Another gem from the same interview:
As a child: Growing up, I liked Thundercats. MC Hammer had a cartoon with shoes that danced. I liked that. I liked He-Man. I liked the Smurfs.

Never doubt Peanut Butter Honey, it's delicious.

No comments: